Our experienced psychologists and therapists can provide support for couples who are experiencing challenges in their relationship, or who want to enhance their relationship.
Counselling can provide a safe and neutral space for both partners to feel comfortable sharing their concerns and learning new ways to communicate, connect and strengthen their relationship.
In this non-judgmental environment, the process supports a balanced approach: Each person in the couple is able to have their perspective listened to in an empathic and respectful process facilitated by the psychologist/therapist. Through exploring the dynamics of the relationship, and sometimes each individual's family-of-origin relationships, couples can gain insight into their emotional regulation patterns, themes of conflict and relating to each other, and obtain a deeper understanding of their concerns and ways to move forwards that feel comfortable for both partners.
Some of the common issues that emerge in relationships that can be supported in therapy include:
- Intimacy issues
- Adjustment to changes such as moving in together, getting married, having a baby, one partner working away, or re-establishing trust.
- Post-natal depression or anxiety
- Parenting concerns
- One or both partners managing mental health issues
- Role conflict
- Grief and loss
- Disengagement from the relationship by one or both partners
- Holistic health issues such as sleep hygiene, nutrition, exercise, social relationships
- Conflict resolution
- Work-life-family balance
- Communication skills
- Managing relationships with partner’s family or extended family
- Disconnection through technology use
- Problematic lifestyle habits such as alcohol/drug use or gambling
Sometimes it can be helpful to attend individual counselling first, to have the opportunity to focus on your own concerns in depth before exploring issues with your partner.
Another way people can benefit from a couples session is if you have been attending therapy for support with personal difficulties that may be impacting on your relationship. You may feel like it could be helpful to have your partner attend a session or two so that the therapist can guide your partner around how to support you, and how the two of you can effectively navigate through these difficulties together.
We would love to hear from you and would be honoured to support you in your journey to wellness.
Warning: The account for little.window.psychology needs to be reconnected.
Due to Instagram platform changes on March 2, 2020, this Instagram account needs to be reconnected to allow the feed to continue updating. Reconnect on plugin Settings page